Sunday, July 01, 2007

Alternate Realities

So I watched Back to the Future II tonight. I think I only saw it once as a kid and I remembered absolutely nothing about it. As an adult, I was struck by how cartoonish and obnoxious the acting could be, as well as the many flaws in the time travel system, but it was okay I guess. Anyway, it just occurred to me that when I return to America it’s like I’ll be stepping into my life in an alternate reality in which somebody else lives in my house, my dad is married to a stranger, and who knows what will happen to my mom and sisters in that period of time. My mom in particular will have to construct a completely new, unfamiliar life. When I get back, I’ll have nowhere to go, and all the possessions from my old life will have been scattered or lost in the move. I’ll be in a transformed, alien place with no real past or future. Also, everyone will probably be using iPhones.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You and me both...alternate realities. And there will be several places for you to stay. It just won't be the same place where you grew up. I still dream about the house I left after third grade. When you grow up, you leave your parents and make your own home and family.

Paula's mother died the same day your dad got married. She's doing okay. I think we're going on a trip with the dogs during July. Lots of love, Mom

11:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, seriously, I've been here throughout and it is still like an alternate reality. But at least I won't have an iPhone. I don't have 600 dollars. Mom's going to Erie tomorrow, which is flooded by the way, you should look up the footage. Go to the video on this site, the Erie person talking is funny. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19524159/
Love, Manders

11:49 AM  
Blogger Grace Tydings said...

I remember when my parents moved out of their hyde park home and into the lincoln park one while I was in London. It was weird coming home to a home that wasn't familiar. I would go out and forget exactly how to get home. Yeah, it's weird coming home to everything having changed. But I guess 2 years in Japan is going to change you a lot to us when we all feel the same. (or something, I don't know, I'm tired and lisa's sleeping in the living room so I can't watch the Today show. It's funny how much I need routine just to get through the blandness).

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, everyone will be using fleshlights by then.

Just sayin'.

John

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home